Friday, September 5, 2014

Not the Wednesday edition

Yes, I'm aware it's Friday. Not quite in the rhythm yet of this new crazy-ass blogging schedule...

Anyway, I see in my Pocket I have saved a few tidbits that are worth sharing, so I'll get those out of the way, before I move onto new topics.


  • From nearly a year ago (I really need to stay on top of these), Chris Sims over at Comics Alliance explained the DC Problem. I didn't read much DC mainly since I was an early adopter of Marvel (1970ish), and the DC Universe never seemed "real" to me as a kid (Metropolis/Gotham vs. New York). I couldn't stand the Legion or Green Lantern, and Superman just couldn't hold my attention (I didn't even see the first movie til years later). I did enjoy Wrightson's Swamp Thing and some of Kirby's DC output (Kamandi and the Demon), and it wasn't until the 80's when New Teen Titans hit the racks that I found something interesting enough to bother. Soon after I drifted to Vertigo and left DC superheroics behind completely. Anyway, Chris Sims is always worth reading so check it out if you haven't already.
  • Just before Christmas 2013, Rich Howells at the TimesLeader.com mused about collecting. Some basic love-what-you-read-don't-worry-about-the-value stuff, with a nice shout out to Maggie Thompson of CBG fame.
  • In April, the Outhousers' Christian Hoffer talks about the small press, and the joys of discovery. I'm with ya, Christian.
  • I've never been one to dive too deeply into webcomics, but here's a nice list on io9. I will definitely be exploring that corner of the comics universe more in the months to come...
  • In May, around the five year anniversary of MultiversityComics.com, they presented a number of opinions from some of the biggest names in the game right now - Eric Stephenson, Jeff Parker, Jim Zub, Alex Kot and many more. I would be very interested to hear from some of you on this subject as well.
  • Oh, and local (to me) writer Josh Hadley gets grouchy regarding conventions. Way to look at the dark side, Josh.


Pocket!

See you next Wednesday. Yes, Wednesday, I swear.


No comments:

Post a Comment